Monday, November 28, 2011

Book Chat: The Secret Garden

An excerpt from The Secret Garden....
"If you scream another scream," she said, "I'll scream too---and I can scream louder than you can and I'll frighten you, I'll frighten you!"

"I can't stop!" he gasped and sobbed. "I can't---I can't!"

"You can!" shouted Mary. "Half of what ails is hysterics and temper----just hysterics----hysterics----hysterics!" and she stamped each time she said it.

"I felt the lump---I felt it," choked out Colin. "I knew I should.I shall have a hunch on my back and then I shall die," and he began to writhe again and turned on his face and sobbed and wailed but he didn't scream.
"You didn't feel a lump!" contradicted Mary fiercely. "If you did it was only a hysterical lump. Hysterics make lumps. There's nothing the matter with your horrid back---nothing but hysterics! Turn over and let me look at it!"

No comments:

Post a Comment